component-social-facebook_share_api-v2-01
      18
      Monday
      30 / 23
      Tuesday
      34 / 23
      Wednesday
      24 / 7

      8-year-old dies from bacterial meningitis

      An 8-year-old boy in the Grand Rapids area has died, a likely victim of bacterial meningitis.

      Ethan Giang died suddenly Thursday. St. John Vianney School in Wyoming told parents that bacterial meningitis is not considered contagious like a cold or flu. Principal Gregg Bruno says he wants to "convey fact and dispel fear."

      The third-grader's funeral Mass is scheduled for Monday at St. John Vianney Catholic Church.

      High fever, a headache and a stiff neck are symptoms of bacterial meningitis.

      FOLLOW US ON TWITTER