Alpena County Sheriff's Office offering free gun locks
ALEPNA COUNTY, Mich. (WPBN/WGTU) -- The Alpena County Sheriff's Office is passing out free gun locks to any member of the community.
The sheriff's office says they are doing this to encourage safe handling and storage practices of firearms.
The locks may be used on various types of firearms including:
- Semi-automatic handguns
While supplies last, residents may get their free gun locks at the sheriff's office located on 320 Johnson Street, Alpena, Mich 49707.
Here's some safety tips from the sheriff's office:
IF YOU OWN A GUN:
• Unload your guns and lock them away.
• Lock and store ammunition separately.
• Hide keys, combinations, or other access information.
All parents should:
• Talk with their children about guns.
• Ask other parents and neighbors if guns are present, and/or are they safely stored at places where your children visit or play.
• Tell their children not to look for guns in their homes or the homes of friends.
• Teach their children that if they find a gun, STOP. Don’t touch the gun. Don’t let anyone else touch the gun. Leave the area and tell an adult at once. If they can’t find an adult, dial 9-1-1 and tell the police.
• Even if the gun looks like a toy, don’t touch it. Leave the area if other children are playing with a gun and tell a responsible adult.