75
      Saturday
      74 / 60
      Sunday
      75 / 62
      Monday
      81 / 66

      ??Careless smoking?? cause of apartment fire

      A 53-year-old man was rescued from a burning apartment Sunday morning by the Grand Traverse Metro Fire Department.

      A 53-year-old man was rescued from a burning apartment Sunday morning by the Grand Traverse Metro Fire Department.

      Crews were called to the fire on Feiger Lane in Garfield Township around 7:30 a.m. and saw smoke was seen coming from the apartment.

      Once inside firefighters heard sounds coming from the bedroom and found the man on the floor.

      He was taken to Munson Medical Center for smoke inhalation and is expected to recover from his injuries.

      Fire officials say the fire started in a chair, and is being ruled as accidental due to careless smoking.

      The home has serious smoke damage and had two working smoke alarms at the time of the fire.