Christmas morning fire destroys Cadillac house

Firefighters finish up working on a Cadillac house fire.

A fire destroyed a Cadillac home on Wednesday morning, but all ten people in the house at the time escaped safely.

Four area fire departments responded to the fire at the West Thirteenth Street home. The family was celebrating Christmas together when the fire began, and officials believe that the fire started in the chimney, but are still investigating the cause. One of the homeowners said that they had the fireplace going at the time of the fire.

Officials received the call at about 10:30 A.M. and battled the fire into the early afternoon. West Thirteenth Street was closed between 115 and East Lake Mitchell Road until the scene was cleared.

The family is sad that this happened to them, especially on Christmas, but happy to be safe and uninjured.

"I'm just thankful the most that my husband, myself, our kids, and our animals and family were able to get out safely," said Cheryl Green, one of the homeowners.

Fire officials encourage people to use caution with potential fire hazards near the holidays.

"It's always a safety issue, whether starting up a fire or with cooking, you've just got to take that extra time, make sure your chimney's clean, have it inspected, make sure everything's in working and proper order," said Selma Township Fire Chief Jason Behl.

Behl said that they were able to salvage a few items from the home.