Deputies investigate deadly Long Lake Township shooting

The Grand Traverse Sheriffâ??s Office says 29-year-old Roger Howard from Traverse City was shot and killed in Long Lake Township.

The Grand Traverse Sheriffâ??s Office has released new details into what led to the shooting death of 29-year-old Roger Howard from Traverse City.

Sheriffâ??s deputies were called to a home on Black Bear Drive in Long Lake Township Friday around 11:30 p.m. to a report of a shooting.

27-year-old Nicole Mitchell from Traverse City contacted 911 and told the dispatcher there had been an accidental shooting at her home.

Once inside the house, emergency responders found Howard with a single gunshot wound to the upper chest. He was treated at the scene and was later transported to Munson Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

The preliminary investigation shows Mitchell was at her home with three children, two of her own and one guest.

Deputies say Mitchell and Howard knew each other.

The preliminary investigation shows Howard called Mitchell Friday evening and asked to visit Mitchell at her house. Mitchell picked up Howard at his Garfield Township apartment and drove him to her house. Mitchell says once they arrived at her house, they got into an argument in the garage. Mitchell says she told Howard he was not welcome and told him several times to leave. Mitchell then went inside her house.

Mitchell said when she went upstairs to check on the children she heard Howard enter the house and come upstairs. Mitchell said she went to the gun safe in the bedroom she was in and removed a semi-automatic pistol. Mitchell said she did this because she was fearful Howard was going to hurt her or the children. Mitchell told deputies when Howard came into the bedroom he said he would rather die than leave. Mitchell said Howard walked toward her and grabbed the pistol. Mitchell then heard the gun discharge and saw Howard walk out of the bedroom. Deputies say Howard collapsed in the hallway. Mitchell checked Howard and saw he had been shot in the chest. Mitchell then called 911.

The Sheriff's Office has not made any arrests or determined if charges will be filed in this case. An autopsy is complete and deputies are waiting for the results.