Family safe after late night fire
Thu, 09 Jan 2014 08:13:52 GMT —
Investigators are taking a closer look at what sparked a fire in Traverse City.
Crews were called to the home on the 13-thousand block of South West Bayshore Drive Wednesday night. When the Traverse City Fire Department arrived, heavy smoke was coming from an apartment above the garage attached to the home.
Two adults, a baby and the family dog evacuated the home before firefighters arrived.
The fire forced officials to close M-22 near the Holiday gas station for more than two hours. The fire was under control around 12:30 a.m. Thursday and crews were able to clear the scene just after 3 a.m.
The apartment above the garage and the garage were heavily damaged. The home was not affected by the fire.
Officials say the fire appears accidental and will focus on the electrical system in the garage as the investigation continues.