Two Cadillac houses are destroyed and two others damaged after a house fire spread through a neighborhood near Lake Mitchell.
The fire started at around 11:00 Sunday night in a rental house on the 300 Block of South Lake Drive in Cadillac.
Initial investigation shows the fire may have been sparked by a house appliance possibly the dryer. From there it spread into the garage and caused several explosions. The fire was so intense that it spread to a second house, located right behind it. The woman living there did get out but her house was also destroyed.
All residents got out safely but are still shaken up by the frightening ordeal. "All my son had on was a pair of shorts and myself all I had on was my underwear and that's how we exited the house. We had no time to collect belongs, it was out now," says Brian Stephan, who's home was the first to ignite in flames Sunday night.
The fire also damaged to two neighboring houses. Fire crews as well as DTE Energy crews were on the scene all night and well into the morning hours of Monday.
DTE officials tell us that they came out as a safety precaution to turn off the natural gas main. They had to dig a deep hole 60 feet from the house to turn off the gas service.