74
      Tuesday
      89 / 70
      Wednesday
      88 / 67
      Thursday
      87 / 66

      Fire that destroyed home started in chimney

      The home, on Golden Road, is considered a total loss. Officials say the residents tried to put the fire out the chimney fire, but the fire spread.

      Fire officials from Kalkaska County say the fire that destroyed a Orange Township home started in the chimney.

      The home, on Golden Road, is considered a total loss. Officials say the residents tried to put the fire out the chimney fire, but the fire spread.

      Fire crews had trouble getting water because the lake and river they typically use as a water source was frozen. They ended up using a well source that was about three-miles away.

      Family members got out of the home safely and are staying with relatives. One firefighter was injured after falling through a stairway into four feet of water. He was taken to the hospital and is ok.