MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Firefighters discover lethal CO levels in Traverse City home

Firefighters say it would have been a much different result had the homeowners not had a working carbon monoxide alarm.

GRAND TRAVERSE COUNTY, Mich., (WPBN/WGTU) -- The Traverse City Fire Department is warning residents about the importance of having working carbon monoxide alarms, after one quite possibly saved lives Wednesday.

Fire crews were called to an east side home for a possible CO emergency. The homeowners were unsure if their detectors were working properly, because they said nothing seemed wrong.

Crews went inside and found elevated levels of CO just within the front door.

The house was evacuated and crews suited up with the appropriate gear. They found a malfunctioning gas stove that was pumping lethal amount of CO into the home.

Firefighters say it would have been a much different result had the homeowners not had a working carbon monoxide alarm.

CO is a colorless, odorless gas that can be emitted from gas appliances. Firefighters say it is critical to have proper protection. They ask you rely on them for advice and help.

Residents can contact the department at (231) 922-4930 with any general questions.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending