A Sunday morning apartment fire in Fife Lake not only brought firefighters to the scene, but also the Traverse Narcotics Team.
The fire on Main Street is thought to be started by a grow light used for marijuana plants. A total of 192 marijuana plants were found in two of the five apartments in the building.
The person who lives in the apartment where the fire started told authorities he does have a medical marijuana card, a claim the Traverse Narcotics Team was not able to confirm. The man said he was growing the plants for himself. Those with medical marijuana cards are only allowed to have 12 plants. Authorities say no one has been arrested related to this case.
â??I was like wow! That was a shock to me. That was a very big shock to me. I had no idea anything was like that andâ?¦ I talked to him right here at the fence all the time and he seemed like he was an okay guy,â?? said neighbor Daniel Eberson.
No injuries were reported during the fire, although three residents did have to evacuate the building.