70
      Sunday
      75 / 63
      Monday
      81 / 65
      Tuesday
      84 / 69

      Heater blamed for Beaver Island fire

      Crews were on the scene at 5 am for a house fire on Beaver Island on Wednesday.

      An electric heating unit is to blame for the house fire on Beaver Island this week.

      The Beaver Island Fire Chief says the heating unit was in the wall.

      Because there was no insurance on the home, the community is reaching out to help the family replace some items.

      Any donations can be dropped off at the Charlevoix Airport. The family is three adults and a 9-month-old baby boy.

      The fire started in the early hours Wednesday morning and had crews on the scene for hours. A big concern was the home's close proximity to other houses.