Interlochen woman loses over $800 in Target credit card breach
Thu, 19 Dec 2013 23:08:14 GMT —
Target stores announced Thursday morning that as many as 40 million of its customers' credit and debit cards were are risk during a three week period after Thanksgiving.
Nicole Neihardt of Interlochen said she was a victim during the breach and says she lost all of her money in the blink of an eye.
"I couldn't believe it," she said. "I was just beside myself. First call was to my husband to make sure he didn't order a camera on accident."
Just 15 minutes after depositing her husbands paycheck, while on her drive home from the bank, more than 800 dollars worth of Target merchandise had been billed to her account.
A Canon camera for $799 plus shipping and tax as well as a baby monitor were billed to her.
"We were completely penniless with a six-month-old baby who needed diapers and food and everything," Neihardt said.
She called Target to get her money back, which took four days.
Target announced this happened to more than 40 million people who used credit or debit cards at their stores from November 27th to December 15th.
They released the following statement:
"Your trust is a top priority for Target, and we deeply regret the inconvenience this may cause. The privacy and protection of our guests' information is a matter we taken very seriously and we have worked swiftly to resolve the incident."
Target has not revealed how the system was hacked, however the secret service has joined the investigation to track to the people behind the breach.