68
      Monday
      85 / 63
      Tuesday
      89 / 70
      Wednesday
      90 / 68

      Kids playing with lighter start fire at Manistee home

      A Manistee home was fully engulfed in flames after two children played with a lighter in one of the bedrooms.

      A Manistee home was fully engulfed in flames after two children were playing with a lighter and started a fire.

      According to the Manistee Co. Fire Department, crews were dispatched to the home on St. Mary's Parkway in Manistee around 9 p.m. Sunday night.

      The Fire Department reports that the mother, who was home with her two children at the time of the fire, said her children were playing with a lighter in a bedroom and started the fire. The children confirmed that to the police detective.

      No one was injured in the fire.

      Crews were on the scene until 2:30 a.m. to fully extinguish the flames. The Fire Department said the home had knee walls and large cavities behind them that were difficult to get to, which made the fire "particularly stubborn."

      Red Cross and victim services from the Sheriff's Department were on the scene to assist the family and firefighters.