A boat captain was treated for burns to his hands after he tried to put out a fire aboard a boat docked in West Grand Traverse Bay.
Geoff Rudolph, the captain of the Champion saw the smoke around 3:10 p.m. as he returned from a day of sailing with his passengers. He raced over to the boat Arcturos owned by the Maritime Heritage Alliance.
He was treated at Munson Medical Center for minor burns to his hands.
No one was on the Arcturos at the time of the fire.
The Elmwood Township fire chief says the fire was caused by a short in the electrical system.
The boat received minor damage.
â??Our captain went over and tried to extinguish the fire and was unable to. At that point we evacuated the kids and 911 had been called by that point; that was one of the first things we did,â?? said Joseph Sanok, Mental Wellness Counseling.
The Arcturos is a gas powered boat.
Those who saw the fire from the Champion were part of a program that teaches at risk youth how to sail.