39 / 25
      41 / 28
      44 / 33

      Obama: Bombings "outrageous attacks"

      Smoke billows from an explosion that went off at J.W. Marriott hotel in Jakarta, Indonesia, Friday. / AP photo

      WASHINGTON (AP) " President Barack Obama condemned the "outrageous attacks" on two hotels in the Indonesian capital on Friday, and U.S. officials said at least eight Americans were among those wounded in the suicide bombings.

      None of the eight suffered life-threatening injuries, State Department spokesman Robert Wood said. All had been treated, and two were taken to Singapore for additional medical care, he said Friday.

      At least eight people died and more than 50 were wounded when suicide bombers who had checked in as guests detonated themselves at two American hotels in Jakarata " a J.W. Marriott and a Ritz-Carlton.

      "I strongly condemn the attacks that occurred this morning in Jakarta, and extend my deepest condolences to all of the victims and their loved ones," said Obama, who spent part of his childhood in Indonesia.

      A U.S. official said Obama planned to call Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono.

      Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton condemned the bombings as "senseless" in a statement issued from the Czech Republic, as she traveled on to India.

      Obama and Clinton pledged U.S. support for the Indonesian government. They said attacks underscored the need to remain steadfast in the fight against violent extremism.

      "We will continue to partner with Indonesia to eliminate the threat from these violent extremists, and we will be unwavering in supporting a future of security and opportunity for the Indonesian people," Obama said.

      Clinton said the attacks "reflect the viciousness of violent extremists, and remind us that the threat of terrorism remains very real."

      "We have no higher priority than confronting this threat along with other countries that share our commitment to a more peaceful and prosperous future," she said in Prague on her way to India and Thailand. In Thailand, Clinton will attend a Southeast Asian security meeting where the attacks are likely to be high on the agenda.

      After the attacks, Yudhoyono said they were carried out by a "terrorist group" and vowed to arrest the perpetrators. He also suggested a possible link to the national election last week that is expected to hand him another five-year term as president.

      Suspicion would likely fall on the Southeast Asian Islamist militant group Jemaah Islamiyah or its allies. The network is blamed for past attacks in Indonesia, including a 2003 bombing at the Marriott when 12 people died.

      A former top U.S. counterterrorism official in the Bush administration said the attacks underscore the threat represented by numerous key Jemaah Islamiya operatives still on the loose.

      Juan Zarate, now a senior adviser at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, said the new attacks may also represent an effort by the terror faction to regain the attention of al-Qaida. He cautioned, though, that the bombings alone do not suggest a reunification with al-Qaida.

      "American officials worry still today about the potential reconnection of JI to al-Qaida in a more substantive way, because those ties largely have been broken," Zarate said.

      The near-simultaneous bombings ended a four-year lull in terror attacks on civilian, Western targets in the world's most populous Muslim nation. At least 18 foreigners were among the dead and wounded.

      The blasts at the J.W. Marriott and Ritz-Carlton hotels, located side-by-side in an upscale business district in Jakarta, blew out windows and scattered debris and glass across the street, kicking up a thick plume of smoke. Facades of both hotels were reduced to twisted metal. An Associated Press reporter at the scene saw bodies being shuttled away in police trucks.

      Alex Asmasubrata, who was jogging nearby, said he walked into the Marriott before emergency services arrived and "there were bodies on the ground, one of them had no stomach," he said. "It was terrible."

      Two Australians and a New Zealander were believed to have been killed, but there was confusion about the exact number of victims. The Marriott was hosting a regular meeting of top foreign executives at major companies in Indonesia organized by consultancy firm CastleAsia, said the group, which is headed by an American.

      "I have grave concerns for three Australians following the terrorist bombings in Jakarta earlier today," Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd told reporters late Friday. "One of these Australians is an Australian Embassy official. These figures may be the subject of further change."

      An Australian think tank, the Strategic Policy Institute, predicted the Southeast Asian terrorist group Jemaah Islamiyah might launch new attacks just a day before Friday's deadly strike.

      A paper released Thursday said tensions in the group's leadership and the release of former members from prison "raise the possibility that splinter factions might now seek to re-energize the movement through violent attacks."

      Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono said the attack was carried out by a "terrorist group" and vowed to arrest the perpetrators. He also suggested a possible link to the national election last week that is expected to hand him another five-year term as president, but he provided no details.

      Suspicion will fall on the Southeast Asian Islamist militant group Jemaah Islamiyah or its allies. The network is blamed for past attacks in Indonesia, including a 2003 bombing at the Marriott when 12 people died.

      "Those who carried out this attack and those who planned it will be arrested and tried according to the law," a somber-looking Yudhoyono told a news conference.

      The Manchester United football team canceled a planned visit to Indonesia. The team had been scheduled to stay at the Ritz on Saturday and Sunday nights for a friendly match against the Indonesian All Stars, the Indonesian Football association said.

      Jakarta police chief Maj. Gen. Wahyono said two suicide bombers carried out the attacks at the hotels. The suspects of the Marriott bombing stayed on the 18th floor, where un-detonated explosives were found after Friday's twin explosions.

      "There were several perpetrators," he told reporters. "They were disguised as guests and stayed in room 1808."

      Security is supposedly tight at all five-star hotels in Indonesia. Guests typically walk through metal detectors and vehicles are inspected, but many visitors say searches are often cursory.

      U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton condemned the bombings as reflecting "the viciousness of violent extremists" and said they "remind us that the threat of terrorism remains very real." She said the United States was prepared to provide assistance if requested by the Indonesian government.

      The European Union condemned the blasts as "brutal."

      The Marriott was hit first, followed by the blast at the Ritz two minutes later.

      Security Minister Widodo Adi Sucipto told reporters at the scene the hotel blasts happened at 7:45 a.m. and 7:47 a.m. (0045 GMT, 8:45 p.m. EDT) and that "high explosives were used." He said eight people were killed and 50 wounded.

      Security video footage shown on a local TV station captured the moment of the explosion in one of the hotels. The brief, grainy images showed a man in a cap walking across the lobby toward the restaurant with other hotel guests and then smoke filling the air.

      "There was a big explosion followed by a shock wave," said Ahmad Rochadi, a security guard at the Marriott who was checking cars in the basement. "I rushed upstairs and saw smoke billowing from the lobby."

      Anti-terrorist forces with automatic weapons were rushed to the site, and authorities blocked access to the hotels in a district also home to foreign embassies.

      "This destroys our conducive situation," Sucipto said, referring to the nearly four years since a major terrorist attack in Indonesia " a triple suicide bombing at restaurants at the resort island of Bali that killed 20 people.

      The security minister and police said a New Zealander was among those killed, and that 17 other foreigners were among the wounded, including nationals from Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, India, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, South Korea the U.S. and Britain.

      The dead New Zealander was identified by his employer as Timothy David Mackay, 62, who worked for cement products manufacturer PT Holcim Indonesia. He was reportedly attending a business meeting at the Marriott Hotel when the explosions occurred.

      Noel Clay, a U.S. State Department spokesman in Washington, said that several American citizens were among the injured. Three Americans were listed as patients at the Metropolitan Medical Center hospital.

      There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attacks, but terrorism analyst Rohan Gunaratna said the likely perpetrators were from the al-Qaida-linked Jemaah Islamiyah.

      "The only group with the intention and capability to mount attacks upon Western targets is Jemaah Islamiyah. I have no doubt Jemaah Islamiyah was responsible for this attack," he said.

      There has been a massive crackdown in recent years by anti-terrorist officials in Indonesia, a predominantly Muslim nation of 235 million, but Gunaratna said the group was "still a very capable terrorist organization."

      Police have detained most of the key figures in the Indonesia-based Jemaah Islamiyah and rounded up hundreds of other sympathizers and lesser figures.

      In October 2002 two Bali nightclubs were attacked killing 202 people, many of them foreign tourists. Jemaah Islamiyah was accused of responsibility.


      Associated Press writers Niniek Karmini and Ali Kotarumalos in Jakarta and Tanalee Smith in Adelaide, Australia, contributed to this report.

      Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

      Barrington Broadcasting is a member of the AP Network.