Trial begins for Steve Martin after officer-involved shooting
CHARLEVOIX COUNTY, Mich. (WPBN/WGTU) -- Monday was the first day for the trial of Steve Martin, the man accused of trying to drive his truck into a Charlevoix County sheriff's deputy last year.
After opening arguments, the court heard from both deputies who were on the scene.
It happened in October 2016, when a deputy was trying to arrest Steve Martin's son, Jared.
A scuffle broke out and Steve Martin started to drive his truck. Deputy Nathan Kaminski says Martin was driving towards him, trying to hit him.
Kaminski fired several shots, injuring Steve Martin.
The jury must decide is Martin had actual intent to harm the deputy before getting shot.
“When I fired, my life was in danger," Kaminski said on the stand. "I was going to get killed so I discharged my service weapon.”
Deputy Genna Gauthier was also on the scene.
While going over her body camera video, Prosecutor Daryl Vizina asked why she yelled, 'Nate.'
“Because I didn’t want him to die, I didn’t want him to get ran over, didn’t want him to get hurt," Gauthier said.
Footage from both the deputies' body cameras was shown.
Both the prosecution and the defense were trying to determine where Deputy Kaminski was standing when he shot at Steve Martin.
Martin claims he only moved his truck to block any traffic from hitting his son in the street.
The two deputies were the only witnesses who took the stand on Monday.
On Tuesday, the jury will likely hear from more officers who got to the scene after the incident, as well as an accident reconstructionist.
Steve Martin is on trial for one count of assault with intent to murder, and one count of assault with a dangerous weapon.