An apartment building in the Bayhill Apartments of Traverse City was jeopardized when a resident attempted to cause an explosion in his own apartment. Traverse City Police officers were dispatched to the apartment at 12:30 AM after a 53-year-old man told apartment staff that he had intentionally opened all of the burners on his stove in order to cause an explosion.
The man was hoping that his apartment would fill with gas and the pilot light would cause the apartment complex to explode. The Traverse City Fire Department was able to turn off the gas and disperse the natural gas that had filled the apartment.
The man also told officers that he heard voices in his head that told him to blow up the apartment and that he didn't want to live anymore. He is currently in the Grand Traverse County jail awaiting his arraignment and a mental evaluation.