It's something we all deal with. Whether you're male or female, young or old -- it's loving and appreciating ourselves! It seems so simple, but is a constant battle. Dr. Ann Marie Love, Ph.D is offering a plan to help us like ourselves in one week. Sound impossible? Dr. Love says just give it a try!
Dr. Love's 5 tips:
1. Change your mindset from scanning your life for what is "wrong," to focusing on what is "right."
"For example," said Dr. Love, "if you didn't get as much done as you'd like, but you were kind and loving all day, give yourself credit for making everyone around you have a better day."
2. Catch yourself (and others) doing something positive: Speak up this week when you see someone making an effort.
"For example, 'Jimmy, you got yourself dressed all by yourself! Honey, thanks for filling up my car with gas!'" said Dr. Love.
3. Before you go to sleep, review all of the things you did well today, especially where you were compassionate to yourself or others. Feel the pleasure of looking at what went well.
4. When you get frustrated, try saying this to yourself instead of beating yourself up: "I'm doing the best that I can. If I could do better, I would do better...and by liking myself I will do better."
5. When others are frustrating you, develop a curiosity about why this is so. For example, Dr. Love said a driver in front of her was exceeding the speed limit, taking corners somewhat quickly, etc. She thought, "one acceptable reason to drive that way is to get to the hospital." The driver did, indeed, turn off for the hospital. She wished him well instead of getting frustrated, and continued with her day.
If you'd like to learn more about Dr. Love's one week plan, click the video above. If you have a topic or questions you'd like Dr. Love to answer, send your questions to DrLove@upnorthlive.com. She will be back on next month to answer them for you. If you would like to contact her at her office in Traverse City, call 231-947-2292.