Denine Dingeman, designer & General Manager of Habitat for Humanity ReStore , shares her inspiration and teaches you to affordably style with ease! She's teaming up with Dan Brady, "tricks-of-the-trade" painter at Dan Brady Painting and Wood Restoration . He brings you time-saving tricks and products that are easy to find and use.
This week Dan and Denine are showing us how to ReVibe a bi-fold door to be functional and hide the undesirables!
DESIGNER DENINE'S ADVICE OF THE DAY: "One of the things that makes Habitat ReStore total HEAVEN for Designer DIY is the HUGE inventory of doors," said Denine. "It's amazing how quickly you can screen an area of the room with a few sets of bi-fold doors. Hinge several sets together to create a movable, stylish 'wall' that provides privacy, divides a room or instantly offers a fantastic, dimensional backdrop. Fold it up when you don't need it to be functional, however there's a great chance you'll love your bi-fold screen and never put it away!"
DAN'S TRICK OF THE DAY: "Spray primer is so quick and easy, and it's available in several colors to make your job even simpler," said Dan. "Friends at Northwood Paint or any home improvement store can help you determine the best primer for your job, so don't forget to take a quick photo of your project before you head to the store. And if you're relaxing on the couch behind the screen Designer Denine just created for you, make sure you get out of your PJs before you head to the store. Just a tip."
Create a shelving system from an old door:
1. Choose a door that has a surface that lends itself to adding brackets and shelving.
2. If you want to paint the door, remove peeling paint and use a sanding sponge to scuff the surface to be painted. Clean any dust.
3. Using primer from Northwood Paint or your favorite home improvement store, apply primer from a spray can or with a "hot dog" roller. The home improvement crew at the store will help you find the right tools.
4. Let the primer dry. Paint and allow time to dry.
5. Affix two brackets per shelf. Make sure you select shelving pieces and brackets that complement each other in size.
6. Secure the shelving to the brackets, prop the door against a wall, and you've got the most creative, functional and interesting shelving system on the block!
For more information and a professional demonstration, click the video above.
Need some paint? Call 231-947-8522, or stop by Northwood Paint & Supply in Traverse City.
Need some Frogtape? Click HERE.