LEELANAU COUNTY, Mich., (WPBN/WGTU) -- On UpNorth Family, Nancy Reye an MD at Crystal Lake Health Center talks about heart health.
She runs us through the signs and symptoms of a heart attack in women:
- Uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain in your chest. This can last more than a few minutes and may come and go.
- Pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.
- Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort.
- Other signs such as breaking into a sweat, nausea or dizziness.
- Women are somewhat more likely than men to experience other symptoms such as shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting, back pain or jaw pain.
She also talks about the risk factors associated with heart disease:
- High blood pressure
- Elevated cholesterol
- Lack of physical activity
- Untreated sleep Apnea
- Age/gender/family history/race/previous medical history are all things that we cannot change. These additionally place us at risk for heart attack or increased heart disease.
She also shares common myths regarding women and heart disease
- It is a man's disease and not a real threat for women.
- Heart disease is for old people.
- Heart disease does not affect women who are in good shape.
- Heart disease runs in my family so there is nothing I can do about it.
To learn more about Crystal Lake Health Center click HERE.