DNR looking for candidates for officer recruit school
MICHIGAN (WPBN/WGTU) -- If you like the outdoors and want to become a Department of Natural Resources Conservation Officer, now is your chance!
The Michigan DNR is now accepting applications for its Conservation Officer Recruit School.
The school is a 23-week training academy that is the first step in becoming a conservation officer.
Recruit School #9 runs July 15 through December 20 at the training academy in Dimondale, near Lansing.
“The academy demands total effort and commitment,” said 1st Lt. Steve Burton, training section supervisor in the DNR Law Enforcement Division. “It challenges recruits academically and physically. But those who succeed are on the path to an exciting, fulfilling career as a Michigan conservation officer. Not just anyone can wear our gray and green uniform. Only the finest men and women should apply.”
During the academy, recruits become state of Michigan employees and are paid bi-weekly.
After graduation, they will become probationary conservation officers and spend several more months training throughout the state before being assigned to one of Michigan's 83 counties.
The entire training process takes one year before candidates become full-fledged conservation officers.
An applicant must:
• Be a U.S. citizen.
• Be at least 21 years old before graduating from the academy.
• Become a resident of Michigan prior to completing the Probationary Training Program.
• Be allowed to lawfully possess a firearm in Michigan.
• Possess a valid Michigan driver’s license.
• Possess a satisfactory driving record.
• Possess a clean criminal record absent of any felony convictions.
• Submit to a thorough background investigation measuring the applicant’s suitability for law enforcement work.
• Complete the Michigan Civil Service Commission Entry Level Law Enforcement Exam
• Pass the Michigan Commission on Law Enforcement Standards (MCOLES) physical fitness test.
• Complete and attach the Job Fit Questionnaire, Location Preference Sheet, a cover letter and resume when applying.
If you would like a detailed guide to the application process, it is available online.
The deadline for application is March 1.