Hash oil lab explosion damages Gaylord apartment building
Two people were airlifted to the hospital after an apartment explosion in Gaylord Saturday morning.
According to the Straits Area Narcotics Enforcement Team it was caused by a butane hash oil lab.
The force of the explosion pushed the adjoining walls into the neighboring apartments, causing significant damage to the building.
Authorities say the people who live there were not there when they arrived.
Emergency crews noticed a strong chemical smell when they got there.
After getting a search warrant, authorities found empty cans of butane, marijuana, marijuana wax and other evidence of a butane hash oil lab.
Detectives also seized syringes, digital scales and evidence of the abuse of other drugs.
According to the Straits Area Narcotics Enforcement Team, the suspects drove themselves to Otsego Memorial Hospital.
They were airlifted to a burn unit because of the extent of their injuries.