Man surrenders after hours long standoff

Man surrenders after hours long standoff

GRAND TRAVERSE COUNTY, Mich., (WPBN/WGTU) -- A peaceful morning turned into a chaotic afternoon at Cherryland Mobile Home Park.

It started with a 9-1-1 call from a family member just after 1:00 p.m., saying a man was making what law enforcement called suicidal statements. A massive response of law enforcement arrived on scene, where the man refused to come out.

The Grand Traverse County Sheriff's Office says the man threatening suicide then came out of the home and pointed what they say appeared to be a handgun at a deputy, and the deputy fired.

"Oh yeah, it was a gunshot," said neighbor Michael Coumans. Coumans said he hid in his bathtub until he was eventually evacuated.

"I just left and I knew they (law enforcement) would do their job, and they did," Coumans said. "They did good, but I'm not the one with a bullet hole in his trailer."

The man with the bullet hole in his home is another neighbor Michael Pearson. Pearson says he was at the grocery store during the standoff, but his 20 year old daughter was hiding in the backroom.

"I finally got policeman to come and get my daughter out," Pearson said as he described the moments after he arrived back to the mobile home park.

Pearson says he's not sure whether his daughter was inside when the bullet his his home, but the bullet did hit an important item.

"It's an antique mirror," Pearson said of the item in his home that was struck with the bullet. "It's been in the family for over 100 years, and it's gone. There's a hole in it. It's shattered, you can't fix it."

After the gunshot, law enforcement lost contact with the man, but they were able to get him on the phone again. They were then able to negotiate and convince him to surrender peacefully hours later.

"It's a scary experience," Pearson said. "I'm glad everyone is safe."

Michigan State Police was on scene with a forensic unit until shortly before 11:00 p.m. Law Enforcement did not confirm if a gun was recovered on scene.

According to the Sheriff's office, the subject was taken to the Grand Traverse County Jail.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off