Michigan law enforcement gather in Bay City for Michigan Sheriff's Assoc. conference
BAY COUNTY, Mich., (WPBN/WGTU) -- Law enforcement from sheriff's departments across Michigan gathered in Bay City this week for the Michigan Sheriffs' Association Summer Conference.
During the conference, speakers covered topics such as legislative updates, medical and recreational marijuana, school security, high stress exposure and much more.
Numerous northern Michigan sheriffs were in attendance:
- Mason County Sheriff Kim Cole
- Wexford County Sheriff Trent Taylor
- Oceana County Craig Mast
- Manistee County John O'Hagen
- Benzie County Sheriff Ted Schendel
The MSA held it's 2018 Memorial and Awards Ceremony on Monday.
During the ceremony, several deputies and sergeants received awards:
- Sheriff's Cross: Oakland County Deputy Eric Overall (Posthumously)
- Sheriff's Medal of Honor: Lenawee County Sgt. Alex Perdue
- Distinguished Services Medals: Calhoun County Deputy Francisco Rosado, Cheboygan County Det/Lt. Michael Brege, Ingham County Deputy Robert Boerkoel, Wexford County Deputy Alan Lucas, Deputy Arjay Schopieray and Sgt. Brian Rood
- 2018 Terrence L. Jungel Sheriff of the Year Award: Missaukee County Sheriff James Bosscher
There was also a tribute set up for all the Michigan Police Officers that died in the line of duty this past year.