Mother of man involved in standoff speaks out


GRAND TRAVERSE COUNTY, Mich. (WPBN/WGTU) -- The mother of the man involved in the standoff at Cherryland Mobile Home Park in Garfield Township is speaking out about what led to Tuesday's events.

Sarah Van Cleve, the mother of 34-year-old Sam Carpenter, says she's been been trying to get her son help for years and this isn't the first time he has threatened to commit suicide.

Van Cleve says she called 9-1-1 Tuesday after going to Carpenter's home where he was threatening to commit suicide.

"I went home, called the cops to go do a welfare check cause he was gonna blow his house up. He wanted to die he's been like this. So they got there, he wouldn't come out became a mess," said Van Cleve.

At one point during the standoff, the sheriff's department says Carpenter pointed what turned out to be an airsoft gun in the direction of a deputy, who fired one round.

"These types of situations are obviously difficult because when you have somebody who is pointing a gun of a type that you believe is a real gun you know a law enforcement officer is gonna take action on that not only to protect themselves but to protect other people as well," said Captain Randy Fewless of the Grand Traverse Sheriff's Department.

The bullet ended up missing Carpenter and hitting Michael Pearson's home. Pearson says the bullet shattered a mirror that's been in his family for more than 100 years.

"At lease nobody got hurt. That's the main thing right there you know," said Pearson.

As for Sarah Van Cleve, she says she hopes other cries for help won't be ignored and that situations like this can be prevented in the future.

"Is it going to take this? Is it going to take this to get help? It shouldn't," said Van Cleve.

The deputy who fired Tuesday night was scheduled to meet with supervisors Wednesday morning to discuss the incident.

Carpenter was taken to the Grand Traverse County Jail Tuesday night and has yet to be arraigned.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off