Schuette files for reinstatement of charges against CMU sexual assault suspect
ISABELLA COUNTY, Mich., (WPBN/WGTU) -- A request to have three felony charges against a Cheboygan man accused of sexual assault reinstated has been filed.
On Wednesday, Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette filed a motion to have those charges reinstated.
Ian Elliott, now 24, was originally charged with two felony counts of sexual misconduct in the third degree and one felony count of assault with attempt to penetrate against relating to an alleged 2016 assault that occurred on September 1, 2016 in Mt. Pleasant near Central Michigan University's campus.
Elliott was a 22-year-old student at CMU at the time of the alleged assault.
According to investigators, the assault was alleged to have occurred at an off-campus apartment in the City of Mt. Pleasant.
Records show Elliott was previously charged by then Isabella County Prosecutor Risa Hunt-Scully on January 9, 2017.
The case was then bound over to Circuit Court by Isabella County District Judge Paul H. Chamberlain and scheduled for a jury trial on May 7, 2018.
Schuette said the case was dismissed by an interim prosecutor on April 6, 2018.
“Reinstating these charges is about justice for survivors of sexual assault and making sure that those that hurt others know the consequences of their actions,” said Schuette.
A hearing date on the motion to set aside the dismissal, resume proceedings and set the case for trial has been set for November 16 in Isabella County.