Utility worker killed by electric shock while on the job
GRAND TRAVERSE COUNTY, Mich., (WPBN/WGTU) -- A utility worker died Friday morning after being electrocuted while on the job.
Just before 11:30 a.m. Grand Traverse County Sheriff's Deputies were called to the 20000 block of Center Highway on Old Mission Peninsula after a report of a 51-year-old man being injured by electricity.
Deputies said, the man was shocked by a 7,200 volt line and rushed to Munson Medical Center where he was pronounced dead at 12:50 p.m.
Consumers Energy Crews were on the peninsula repairing damage from the storm that hit earlier this week.
The name of the victim isn't being released right now, but a Consumers Energy spokesperson said he was an experienced journeyman from the area.
"The work that our men and women do every day is incredibly dangerous and this is a very sober reminder of that danger." said Senior Public Information Director Roger Morgenstern. "You know I can't comment, don't know what happened here, but we are going to get to the bottom of it.. we owe it to this man's family."
Morgenstern said they take the safety of employees very seriously and are doing a full investigation to figure out what happened.